Friday, September 26, 2014

Working in the Enbridge Creation Lab is a dream come true

Several weeks ago I stepped into the ATP offices to be greeted by a new official nametag - which I’m told gets me lovely drink discounts at the new Bob White bar - that says: “Jonathan Brower: Enbridge Creation Lab Intern.“ What a fantastic and specific title to outline my volunteering at ATP in the newest department in the company.

So, what exactly am I doing in this so-called “Creation Lab”? Well, aside from the beaker logo and bio-hazard signs that will soon be erected on the door, I will be assisting Artistic Associate Laurel Green as we develop new Canadian plays in the season. I will be receiving dramaturgy mentorship, helping her with the Raucous Caucus Emerging Artists Assembly, and workshop readings throughout the season. The office, and our work, takes its primary direction from activities that support the Enbridge Series of New Canadian Plays, which is premiering Butcher this October & The Last Voyage of Donald Crowhurst in February.  

Already this season, as the Creation Lab Intern, I’ve been privy to the launch of the ATP Exchange, The Wines of ATP, opening night of Venus in Fur and a new archiving initiative for the ATP storage room we lovingly call “The Cage.”

As a dramaturg, I follow detective-like leads on stories that need research and development, and I read new work by up-and-coming Canadian playwrights; all under the tutelage of a talented professional like Laurel. The rest of my day, as they say in most labs developing new work, is top secret.

If you see in the Martha Cohen Theatre lobby this year with my magical name tag, feel free to say ‘Hi.’ If you dare, ask me what I do at ATP because the answer will be: “It’s top secret. I could tell you, but then I’d have to kill you.” Obviously, I’m kidding but I will tell you the truth about why I love what I do at ATP. I’m in a department that is committed to the development and fostering of new Canadian plays. My work here will continue to keep Calgary on the map as an important part of Canada’s theatre history; which is absolutely, positively a dream come true!

Want to learn more about the work we do at ATP? For more information about Job Shadowing please contact Katt Boulet kboulet@ATPlive.com


Jonathan Brower is the Artistic Director of Calgary’s Third Street Theatre. Find out more about their work at thirdstreet.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment